Update on My Seven Churches Examination

I originally planned to release my viewpoint on the seven churches today after a weekend of study and reflection. However, I am still torn about the relevance of the seven churches to us today. Here is what I am thinking at the moment in case you still want to try to sway me in a certain direction.


I have accepted the idea that the seven churches have application beyond the first century A.D. I’ll fully detail this when I publish my viewpoint, but it is difficult to restrict the application of the seven churches to just the historical churches that existed at the time when the Book of Revelation was written when you consider the textual clues.


  • What I am not exactly convinced yet is whether the seven churches apply to individuals or to churches…


I have ruled out is the idea that the seven churches reflect seven historical periods of Church history. The idea that the seven churches reflect seven historical periods of the Church has a major issue which keeps me from adopting this view.

  • How can one accurately gauge which historical period represents each church. For instance, how would one accurately gauge which period reflects the church of Philadelphia vs. the church of Laodicea? There is a drastic difference between the nature of the church of Philadelphia and the church of Laodicea. Such deterioration in the Church most likely would occur over time than at a single event or over one day. It seems strictly arbitrary to me to divide history into different time periods. Ultimately, is it realistic to believe that on December 31, 19XX the Church was faithful and true, but on January 1, 19XX + 1 it could suddenly be characterized as lukewarm? I do not think it is…


Others point out that there is no biblical support for this viewpoint. I do not see that as a major issue in this case because it is not exactly clear how the seven churches are relevant to those who lived beyond the first century A.D.


I hope to publish my viewpoint tomorrow. In the meantime, your comments are welcome.