A Photo of a Nearby Billboard that Claims “Judgment Day” is on May 21, 2011

Update: A critique of Camping's prediction can be found here: Link


A couple of readers last year asked me for my thoughts on Harold Camping’s prediction that the Rapture will take place on May 21, 2011. I took the topic under consideration because there seems to be a significant number of people who believe in Camping’s prediction.


In December 2010 I saw a large billboard advertisement appear nearby where I live proclaiming that Jesus Christ would return on May 21, 2011. I suspected that Camping’s organization Family Radio was somehow connected to this billboard advertisement because they have the financial resources to buy billboard advertising. I intended to write about Camping’s prediction after I saw the billboard, but I did not want to do so without first taking a picture of the billboard advertisement…


Last Saturday I finally got an opportunity to take a picture of the billboard advertisement. However, I noticed that the billboard advertisement was taken down once I arrived at the location. After a couple of minutes of driving around I noticed that a new billboard advertisement is displayed nearby where the old billboard advertisement was once displayed. The new billboard advertisement is different from the original billboard advertisement because it says “Judgment Day” is coming on May 21, 2011 instead of Jesus Christ’s return is coming on May 21, 2011. The following photo is one of the many photos I have of the new billboard advertisement that is displayed nearby where I live: Link


billboard


The billboard advertisement is displayed at a location that gets a lot of traffic, so many people see the billboard advertisement each day.


I hope to critique Camping’s prediction in the near future since I finally have a photo of the billboard advertisement. At this moment I can say that those responsible for the billboard advertisement are taking a huge risk. If the prediction fails then it could do great damage to Family Radio and Camping’s reputation. In addition, the prediction could help make the public even more skeptical about people who study and teach Bible prophecy if it fails.


  • The advertisement says "The Bible Guarantees It" in bold, red letters. A person who has some doubts about the Bible's inerrancy may have their views hardened after seeing a billboard like this. A person who is unsure may begin doubting the Bible if the prediction fails to transpire...

In essence, I feel this billboard campaign is a marketing tactic that could do a lot more harm than good if the prediction fails to transpire.


It is my understanding that billboard advertisements like this are displayed in several major U.S. cities, so I’m not the only one who has seen or reported seeing billboards like this...