My View on the Blood Moon Rapture Theory

Update: I've written a second critique of the Blood Moon/Red Moon Rapture theory at the following link I use historical and scientific evidence to critique the theory in that article...


A reader asked me to comment on the Blood Moon theory (also known as the Red Moon Rapture theory), which I never heard of until it was brought to my attention. The Blood Moon theory posits that the Second Coming of Christ is likely going to occur in 2014 or 2015 when there will be four consecutive, rare lunar eclipses or a tetrad. These rare lunar eclipses will coincide with two major holidays on the Jewish calendar in 2014 and 2015: Passover and the Feast of Tabernacles. Supporters of this theory believe the Rapture is likely going to take place on one of the days which will have a rare lunar eclipse.


There are a few verses in the Bible that describe the moon turning red or into blood just prior to the Rapture.


  • Joe 2:30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
  • Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

  • Rev 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
  • Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.


The Blood Moon theory attracts a lot of proponents because these rare lunar eclipses are capable of turning the moon into the color of blood (hence the term “blood moon”). In addition, the fact that these rare lunar eclipses will occur on important Jewish holidays makes people wonder if something really important is going on.


I tried to find a weakness in the theory because I tend to be skeptical about most things. However, I have difficulty addressing the Blood Moon theory without needing to resort to mentioning the specific Rapture viewpoint that I believe in. I try not to discuss the Rapture a lot on here because I sense that a vast majority of readers probably believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture.


I believe in the Pre-Wrath Rapture which posits that the Church will endure the Wrath of Satan (Revelation 12:12, 17) but will be spared from the Wrath of God (the Day of the Lord) like is promised in 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5:9. I know that the Pre-Wrath Rapture is not exactly a popular position these days so I try to not to make it a big deal when I’m write my analysis on issues. However, in this case I must mention my viewpoint because the Blood Moon scenario is highly unlikely under the Pre-Wrath Rapture viewpoint.


The Pre-Wrath Rapture perspective teaches that the Rapture cannot occur until after several End Times events occur, including the breaking of six seals of the seven seals mentioned in Revelation 6. At the earliest, the Rapture would not occur until 3 ½ + years (probably more like 4 or 5 years) after the start of the 70th Week of Daniel. Therefore, the beginning of the 70th Week of Daniel would have to start this year or next year if there is any chance for the Rapture to occur in 2014 or 2015 like the Blood Moon theory posits.


Comparing where the world is today versus where it needs to be before the End Times begin, it is unlikely that the End Times are going to begin later this year or next year. We still need to see a lot more things like increased political disorder, increased wars and rumors of wars, increased pestilence, and increased famine. These events take time although a global economic and financial collapse, an energy shortage, and a few other events will help to increase the frequency of these events soon.


In sum, I do not believe the Blood Moon Theory is correct because I do not believe all the End Times events that need to take place before the Rapture will actually take place by 2014 or 2015.


Final Note: If you believe in the Post-Tribulation Rapture the Blood Moon theory cannot be correct because it would imply that the 70th Week of Daniel began in 2008, which most people would acknowledge did not start in 2008.


Update: I've written a second critique of the Blood Moon/Red Moon Rapture theory at the following link I use historical and scientific evidence to critique the theory in that article...