Do the Prophecies Concerning Nineveh Have End Times Application?

I do not see a lot of people talk about the Book of Nahum and the prophecies of Nineveh when it concerns their relevance to Bible prophecy. My old NIV Bible (before I stopped using it) said that the prophecies of the Book of Nahum were already fulfilled with the destruction of Nineveh back in 612 B.C. I am not so sure if the prophecies concerning Nahum and Nineveh are completely fulfilled yet when I look at one key End Times-related chapter in the Bible.


I question whether the prophecies of Nahum and Nineveh have been completely fulfilled yet when I read Zephaniah 2:13-15 since Zephaniah 2 concerns the Day of the Lord, which takes place during the End Times.


  • Zep 2:1 Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired;
  • Zep 2:2 Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD'S anger come upon you
...
  • Zep 2:13 And he will stretch out his hand against the north, and destroy Assyria; and will make Nineveh a desolation, and dry like a wilderness.
  • Zep 2:14 And flocks shall lie down in the midst of her, all the beasts of the nations: both the cormorant and the bittern shall lodge in the upper lintels of it; their voice shall sing in the windows; desolation shall be in the thresholds: for he shall uncover the cedar work.
  • Zep 2:15 This is the rejoicing city that dwelt carelessly, that said in her heart, I am, and there is none beside me: how is she become a desolation, a place for beasts to lie down in! every one that passeth by her shall hiss, and wag his hand.


Perhaps the prophecies of the Book of Nahum have an application to the past and an application to the future as well. I would not be so quick to write off the relevance of the Book of Nahum and the prophecies of Nineveh to End Times Bible prophecy as some Bible commentators have.


  • The site of the ruins of ancient Nineveh is a part of the Mosul metropolitan area. Perhaps Zephaniah 2 refers to the destruction of Mosul, Iraq during the Day of the Lord…


I am not 100% sure about whether the prophecies of the Book of Nahum and Nineveh have End Times applications yet, but I thought it would be a good idea to share this perspective in case it stimulates some new ideas in someone who reads about this perspective or gets someone who knows a lot more about this topic than me to comment.